Difference between Curtains and Drapes Ι yes, there is a difference!
Drapes • Drapery • Draperies
- Drapes are the number one method for decorating a window and have pleated tops which make the window panels “drape” in even folds, no matter how they are hung. Drapes move across the rod to an open or closed position.
- Drapes are defined as a panel or panels that cover the entire window that are moved with a traverse rod or baton.
- They may also be used as stationary panel drapes that simple frame the window.
- Drapes typically have some type of pleated top that are attached to a curtain or drapery rod.
- The difference between curtains and drapes is illustrated by the definition of curtains.
- Curtains have a rod pocket sleeve at the top for a rod to slide into, and a header above the rod pocket. Options include the size of the rod pocket and header.
- Curtains AND drapes can be lined or unlined and may also be tied back.
- Curtains are not intended to be moved like drapes, because the fabric is gathered around the rod and movement is difficult.
- Curtains do not have pleats, and mostly remain fixed on the rod.
Difference between Curtains and Drapes Ι wouldn’t be complete without…
Curtain Panels • Drapery Panels • Curtain Panels
- Curtain panels or drapery panels are both stationary side panels that frame a door or window.
- Commonly used to frame blinds, shutters or shades in the window, or on either side of a doorway between rooms.
- This window treatment can make a design statement in the room.
- The difference bewteen curtain and drapes doesn’t change with the use of a valance. Valances are short curtains or drapes!
- Valances can be combined to add a unique and stylish option above your curtains, drapes, blinds, shutters or shades.
- Drapery pleat styles and curtains rod pockets can be used as valances.
- Drapery or curtain hardware such as decorative curtain rods, finials, rings and tiebacks add the finishing touch.
Windows Dressed Up is located in Denver, Colorado, and has been supplying custom window treatments for over 58 years.